Driver Profile: Jimmy Shane
After five years as a backup driver for Ted Porter’s Precision Performance Race Team, Shane was given the full-time seat in the 5 Graham Trucking for the 2012 season and became an instant front-runner. Just three races into the season, he scored an impressive win in the 2012 Lamb-Weston Columbia Cup in the Tri-Cities.
After strong finishes at the Albert Lee Cup at Seafair in Seattle and Bayfair on San Diego’s Misssion Bay, Shane won a closely contested Final Heat to become the champion of the 2012 Oryx Cup UIM World Championship in Doha, Qatar. That win secured an impressive second place in the 2012 driver and team Series High Point Championships for Shane and his team.
Just one month later, Shane found himself holding the Oryx Cup and UIM World Championship trophies again, after returning to Doha and winning the 2013 season opener. Shane went on to finish the season strong with wins in Seattle, Coeur d’Alene and San Diego, edging David for the driver and team titles.
The 28 year old Shane has been a boat racer for 20 years. From a racing family, he started as soon as he made the eight year old minimum for the J Hydro outboard class. He began winning immediately and moved up to the 1.5 Liter Stock inboard class when he was 14.
Jimmy’s father, mother and older sister Kelly have all won national championships in various APBA inboard classes.
Before qualifying as an Unlimited driver in 2007, he won three National High Point Championships, three World Championships, two Canadian High Point Championships and won four times in the tough Gran Prix class. He also set seven Closed Course UIM World Records, and one Kilo Straightaway UIM World Record and was inducted into the APBA Hall of Champions three times.
2013 was also a big year for Shane away from the race course, as he married fiancé Bianca Bonincini and became a new dad with the birth of son Colton. He also relocated from Havre de Grace, Maryland to Renton, Washington where the family now makes their home.
Team Profile: Miss Madison Racing
The community-owned Oh Boy! Oberto/Miss Madison race team claimed first-place honors in the National High Point Championship for the third year in a row in 2010 and won their fourth title in 2012.
Community-owned by the City of Madison, Indiana, 2013 is the Miss Madison team’s 53rd consecutive year of competition. No other team can match the Miss Madison’s record for consecutive seasons of participation. Under the sponsorship of Oberto Meat Products of Kent, Washington, since 2000, Miss Madison has, since 1961, played host at the annual Madison Regatta.
The Miss Madison team has four victories on the hometown Ohio River race course. These include the 1971 American Power Boat Association Gold Cup with driver Jim McCormick, and the 2001, 2010 & 2011 Indiana Governor’s Cup contests with Steve David behind the wheel. The 2011 win came at a high price however, having been awarded to the U-1 after a massive collision with the U-96 Spirit of Qatar in the final heat. Steve David was lucky to emerge with only a couple broken ribs after one of the most dramatic and terrifying accidents in Unlimited hydroplane history.
Eight different hulls have raced as the Miss Madison in the past 53 years, although two of those were rentals.
Miss Madison has twenty first-place trophies on the shelf. The team’s first major triumph was the 1965 Dixie Cup at Guntersville, Alabama, with George “Buddy” Byers as driver. Steve David has accumulated the most race wins (15) at the wheel of the Miss Madison.
Representative Owner: Bob Hughes
Representing the population of Madison, Indiana, on behalf of the Oh Boy! Oberto/Miss Madison is Robert D. Hughes. For over three decades, Hughes has served as President of the board of directors of Miss Madison, Inc., the corporation that administers the community-owned race team. Hughes won the Unlimited Sportsman of the Year Award in 1983 and the prestigious Gar Wood Award in 2003. Together with team manager Charlie Grooms, Hughes oversees all of the Miss Madison Racing program.
Team Manager: Charlie Grooms
Charlie Grooms has been with the team for more than three decades, starting by washing parts when his uncle, Jon Peddie was named the team’s driver in 1977. Over the years he graduated through the ranks to become crew chief. When Mike Hanson retired from driving, Grooms became Team Manager allowing Hanson to move into the Crew Chief position. Grooms oversees all aspects of the team including sponsorships, logistics, budgeting, personnel and other administrative duties. When not racing, Grooms runs Ladder 51, a company that produces flame grilled chicken wings. Grooms, a resident of Madison, Ind. is married to wife Nancy and they have three children, Codi, Cati, and Cortni.
- Follow the Team:
- Boat Name: Oberto
- Team Website: http://www.missmadisonhydro.com
- Owner: Miss Madison, Inc
- Representative Owner: Bob Hughes
- Founded: 1961
- Home Port: Madison, IN
- Driver: Jimmy Shane, Renton, Washington
- Driver Rookie Year: 2007
- Boat Colors: Red/Green/Silver
- Primary Sponsor: Oberto Beef Jerky
- Builder: Madison
- Engine Builder: Larry Hanson
Richard Corella Steve Dean Richard Dunn Pat Furnish Randy Gayle Jimmy Gilbert Aubree Hanson Trevor Hanson Lee Hooton Mark Hooton James Housefield Scott Liddycoat Larry Oberto Cindy Shirley Gary Spanner
- Team Manager: Charlie Grooms
- Public Relations: Mark Hooton
- Hull Built: 2007
- Engine: Lycoming T-55/L-7 Turbine
- 2013 Boat Points: 10464
- 2013 Driver Points: 10464
- 2013 Season Finish: 2nd
(1) 1965 – Guntersville, AL (Dixie Cup); driver-Buddy Byers
(2) 1971 - Madison, IN (APBA Gold Cup); driver-Jim McCormick
(3) 1971 – Tri-Cities, WA (Atomic Cup); driver-Jim McCormick
(4) 1983 – Lake Ozark, MO (Missouri Governor’s Cup); driver-Ron Snyder
(5) 1993 – San Diego, CA (Star Mart Cup); driver-Mike Hanson
(6) 2001 – Madison, IN (Indiana Governor’s Cup); driver-Steve David
(7) 2005 – Evansville, IN (Thunder On The Ohio); driver-Steve David
(8) 2007 – Seattle, WA (Chevrolet Cup) driver-Steve David
(9) 2007 – San Diego, CA (Bill Muncey Cup) driver-Steve David
(10) 2008 – Tri-Cities, WA (Lamb Weston Columbia Cup) driver-Steve David
(11) 2009 - Tri-Cities, WA (Lamb Weston Columbia Cup) driver-Steve David
(12) 2010 - Madison, IN (Indiana Governor’s Cup); driver-Steve David
(13) 2010 - Tri-Cities, WA (Lamb Weston Columbia Cup) driver-Steve David
(14) 2010 - Seattle, WA (Chevrolet Cup) driver-Steve David
(15) 2011 – Madison, IN (Lucas Oil Madison Regatta) driver-Steve David
(16) 2011 – Seattle, WA (Albert Lee Cup) driver-Steve David
(17) 2012 – Seattle, WA (Albert Lee Cup) driver-Steve David
(18) 2012 – San Diego, CA (Bill Muncey Cup) driver-Steve David
(19) 2013 – Sacramento, CA (Big Wake Weekend) driver-Steve David
(20) 2013 – Tri-Cities, WA (Columbia Cup) driver-Steve David
(21) 2014 – Detroit, MI (APBA Gold Cup) driver – Jimmy Shane
(22) 2014 – Tri-Cities, WA (Columbia Cup) driver-Jimmy Shane