Oh Boy! Oberto
Driver Profile: Steve David
A Florida REALTOR, Steve David is Chairman of the Florida Professional Companies, one of the 200 largest Brokerage firms in North America. As a boat racer, he was one of the country’s winningest drivers in APBA inboard classes with over 500 wins before getting his first ride in an Unlimited Hydroplane 25 years ago.
His accomplishments in the Inboard category include four straight National Championship race victories in the 1.5-Litre Stock class with the Toyota-powered CONSTANT PRESSURE between 1988 and 1991. He also won the Grand National Hydro Class National Championship Race with the Chevrolet-powered STEELER in 1990.
Steve made his Unlimited debut in 1988 with Jim McCormick’s POCKET SAVERS PLUS team and was named Rookie of the Year. His Unlimited career shifted into high gear in 1991 when he signed with the Harvey Motorsports team to drive Miss T-Plus. The association was to last for nine years, during which he set and still holds the competition lap and final heat world speed records.
Behind the wheel of the Oh Boy! Oberto/Miss Madison since 2001, David captured the National High Point Driver Championship in back-to-back years; 2005-2006 and 2008-2009-2010 and 2012. Steve’s consistency and years of experience helped the Oh Boy! Oberto win three consecutive National Team Championships in 2008, 2009, and 2010 and the 2012 National team Championship. The latest making the City of Madison, Indiana one of the top three owners of Championship teams in the history of Unlimited hydroplane racing.
In 2012, Steve finished the H1 USA tour strong, scoring his third consecutive victory at the Albert Lee Cup at Seafair in Seattle, Washington and his second win at Bayfair at San Diego, California. Thereby winning the North American Championship and the 6th. time he was awarded the Bill Muncey Driver Championship.
One of the most popular drivers in the history of the sport, David was inducted into the American Power Boat Association’s Hall of Champions for the sixth time in January of 2013. Membership in the Hall of Champions is the highest racing honor that the APBA can bestow. Steve had previously served as the APBA President from 1996-98 and subsequently inducted into the APBA Honor Squadron, the highest honor of service to the American Power Boat Association.
Steve makes his home in Lighthouse Point, Florida with his wife Sabrina and has a daughter Emma.
Steve David retired from racing at the end of the 2013 season.
Team Profile: Miss Madison Racing
The community-owned Oh Boy! Oberto/Miss Madison race team claimed first-place honors in the National High Point Championship for the third year in a row in 2010 and won their fourth title in 2012.
Community-owned by the City of Madison, Indiana, 2013 is the Miss Madison team’s 53rd consecutive year of competition. No other team can match the Miss Madison’s record for consecutive seasons of participation. Under the sponsorship of Oberto Meat Products of Kent, Washington, since 2000, Miss Madison has, since 1961, played host at the annual Madison Regatta.
The Miss Madison team has four victories on the hometown Ohio River race course. These include the 1971 American Power Boat Association Gold Cup with driver Jim McCormick, and the 2001, 2010 & 2011 Indiana Governor’s Cup contests with Steve David behind the wheel. The 2011 win came at a high price however, having been awarded to the U-1 after a massive collision with the U-96 Spirit of Qatar in the final heat. Steve David was lucky to emerge with only a couple broken ribs after one of the most dramatic and terrifying accidents in Unlimited hydroplane history.
Eight different hulls have raced as the Miss Madison in the past 53 years, although two of those were rentals.
Miss Madison has sixteen first-place trophies on the shelf. The team’s first major triumph was the 1965 Dixie Cup at Guntersville, Alabama, with George “Buddy” Byers as driver. Steve David has accumulated the most race wins (15) at the wheel of the Miss Madison.
Representative Owner: Bob Hughes
Representing the population of Madison, Indiana, on behalf of the Oh Boy! Oberto/Miss Madison is Robert D. Hughes. For over three decades, Hughes has served as President of the board of directors of Miss Madison, Inc., the corporation that administers the community-owned race team. Hughes won the Unlimited Sportsman of the Year Award in 1983 and the prestigious Gar Wood Award in 2003. Together with team manager Charlie Grooms, Hughes oversees all of the Miss Madison Racing program.
Crew Chief: Mike Hanson
The only former unlimited driver who has transcended to crew chief role. Hanson’s former driving skills make him a perfect person to oversee boat set-up, race strategy and communicate with driver Steve David while he is on the race course. Hanson has driven for MISS BUDWEISER, KELLOGG’S FROSTED FLAKES, DeWALT, JASPER ENGINES, and JONES RACING. In 2001 Hanson won the Gold Cup while driving U-9 TUBBY’S GRILLED SUBMARINES, his most memorable hydroplane experience. An avid fisherman, Hanson is married to wife Tonya and their children Aubree and Trevor help out on the team.
Team Manager: Charlie Grooms
Charlie Grooms has been with the team for more than three decades, starting by washing parts when his uncle, Jon Peddie was named the team’s driver in 1977. Over the years he graduated through the ranks to become crew chief. When Mike Hanson retired from driving, Grooms became Team Manager allowing Hanson to move into the Crew Chief position. Grooms oversees all aspects of the team including sponsorships, logistics, budgeting, personnel and other administrative duties. When not racing, Grooms runs Ladder 51, a company that produces flame grilled chicken wings. Grooms, a resident of Madison, Ind. is married to wife Nancy and they have three children, Codi, Cati, and Cortni.
- Follow the Team:
- Boat Name: Oh Boy! Oberto
- Team Website: http://www.missmadisonhydro.com
- Owner: Miss Madison, Inc
- Representative Owner: Bob Hughes
- Founded: 1961
- Home Port: Madison, IN
- Driver: Steve David, Lighthouse, FL
- Driver Rookie Year: 1988
- Boat Colors: Red/Green/Silver
- Primary Sponsor: Oberto Beef Jerky
- Builder: Madison
- Engine Builder: Larry Hanson
- Crew Chief: Mike Hanson
Richard Corella Steve Dean Richard Dunn Pat Furnish Randy Gayle Jimmy Gilbert Aubree Hanson Trevor Hanson Lee Hooton Mark Hooton James Housefield Scott Liddycoat Larry Oberto Cindy Shirley Gary Spanner
- Team Manager: Charlie Grooms
- Hull Built: 2007
- Engine: Lycoming T-55/L-7 Turbine
- 2012 Boat Points: 10464
- 2012 Driver Points: 10464
- 2012 Season Finish: 2nd
(1) 1965 – Guntersville, AL (Dixie Cup); driver-Buddy Byers
(2) 1971 - Madison, IN (APBA Gold Cup); driver-Jim McCormick
(3) 1971 – Tri-Cities, WA (Atomic Cup); driver-Jim McCormick
(4) 1983 – Lake Ozark, MO (Missouri Governor’s Cup); driver-Ron Snyder
(5) 1993 – San Diego, CA (Star Mart Cup); driver-Mike Hanson
(6) 2001 – Madison, IN (Indiana Governor’s Cup); driver-Steve David
(7) 2005 – Evansville, IN (Thunder On The Ohio); driver-Steve David
(8) 2007 – Seattle, WA (Chevrolet Cup) driver-Steve David
(9) 2007 – San Diego, CA (Bill Muncey Cup) driver-Steve David
(10) 2008 – Tri-Cities, WA (Lamb Weston Columbia Cup) driver-Steve David
(11) 2009 - Tri-Cities, WA (Lamb Weston Columbia Cup) driver-Steve David
(12) 2010 - Madison, IN (Indiana Governor’s Cup); driver-Steve David
(13) 2010 - Tri-Cities, WA (Lamb Weston Columbia Cup) driver-Steve David
(14) 2010 - Seattle, WA (Chevrolet Cup) driver-Steve David
(15) 2011 – Madison, IN (Lucas Oil Madison Regatta) driver-Steve David
(16) 2011 – Seattle, WA (Albert Lee Cup) driver-Steve David
(17) 2012 – Seattle, WA (Albert Lee Cup) driver-Steve David
(18) 2012 – San Diego, CA (Bill Muncey Cup) driver-Steve David
(19) 2013 – Sacramento, CA (Big Wake Weekend) driver-Steve David
(20) 2013 – Tri-Cities, WA (Columbia Cup) driver-Steve David